Are you a data scientist, librarian, or just love finding and organizing data? Do you enjoy helping people and teams be more successful with their passions? Have you spent a bunch of time working on Open Source projects at work or for fun? Do you know about Open Source licenses and what are one’s responsibilities when using Open Source?
If so, you’re a great fit for ClearlyDefined - a community of people coming together to generate better metadata for FOSS projects and curation is at the core of this effort! We’d love to hear more about your knowledge and interest, and see how you can make an impact on the whole industry.
We’re on a mission to help FOSS projects thrive by being, well, more clearly defined. Lack of clarity around licenses and security vulnerabilities reduces engagement – that means fewer users, fewer contributors and a smaller community. This is a community-wide challenge and we’re taking a community-wide approach.
We want to:
- Raise awareness within FOSS project teams
- Make it easy to identify and supply missing information
- Automatically harvest data from projects
- Crowd-source the curation of that data
- Feed the curated work back to the FOSS projects
Your role is to drive this hands-on, collaborative process.
As a Curator, you will:
- Build domain knowledge in Open Source licensing and security vulnerabilities.
- Show a real passion for detail
- Identify issues in the data and create resolutions
- Develop expertise in running analysis tools used to detect and analyze components
- Work with upstream teams to incorporate the curated data into their projects
- Work with a wide variety of people across many communities
- Work on multiple curations in parallel
- Gain the undying gratitude of Open Source producers, consumers and the community
- Be fully transparent in all your work
ClearlyDefined is a diverse and inclusive community of technical experts who are passionate about quality FOSS. If you or a colleague are interested in this role, check out https://github.com/clearlydefined for more information.